WHAT IS NEUROFEEDBACK TRAINING?
Neurofeedback, also referred to as EEG biofeedback, is a brain-computer interface based training method that provides the brain with a rapid and consistent sensory feedback signal of its ongoing electrical activity, allowing a person to learn to predict and control this activity. Neurofeedback, in combination with non-invasive brain stimulation, is a promising safe and medication-free clinical tool for reducing the symptoms of Depression, Anxiety, ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyscalculia, Autism and further disorders of affect and cognition.
Neurofeedback is an evidence-based brain training and therapeutic method. It is easy to understand neurofeedback if we acknowledge the intimate relationship between mind and brain. All our subjective feelings and thoughts, all our intentions and actions are characterised by distinct objective neural activation patterns in our brain. Disruption in these activation patterns results in a wide range of subjective difficulties, such as emotion regulation problems, depression, anxiety or anger, or cognitive problems related to memory, attention and learning. With the help of neurofeedback, guided by instantaneous, rewarding sensory feedback, we can learn to successfully modify dysfunctional brain patterns in a direct and natural way. As a result, various affective and cognitive symptoms diminish or disappear, while the brain regains homoeostasis and vitality.
Based on solid scientific evidence from the fields of neuroscience, psychophysiology, psychology and medicine, neurofeedback is changing the way common brain dysfunctions such as depression, anxiety, ADHD, poor memory or learning difficulties are treated.
HOW DOES NEUROFEEDBACK WORK?
During a neurofeedback training session, you are sitting in a comfortable chair, participating in a simple computer game or watching a movie. Unlike the passive leisurely watching, however, this is a very active process, as it is your moment-to-moment electrical brain activity that determines what happens on the screen.
When the electrical activity in key brain areas-the ones identified as needing improvement during your qEEG brain assessment – approaches the set training targets and you are entering a desired mental state, you are winning the screen game or enjoying a clear and continuous video stream. When your brain activity drifts away from the set targets and your focus or calmness decreases, you are losing game points, or the movie stream is disrupted.
Over multiple sessions, guided by this continuous real-time sensory feedback, you learn to regulate your brain activity and to induce desired mental states. This engaging learning experience is accompanied by a seamless reorganisation (rewiring) of key brain areas and networks. As a result, you become capable of replicating and maintaining the positive brain states achieved through the neurofeedback sessions in everyday life situations, outside the training clinic.
At Bright Brain Centre London we offer the following neurofeedback training options:
- Classic Neurofeedback- 19 channel neurofeedback training
- Neurofeedback Plus – 19-channel amplitude training combined with non-invasive brain stimulation
- Deep Brain Neurofeedback Plus – 19-channel swLORETA deep brain training, allowing to train cortical networks, combined with non-invasive brain stimulation
- 1 to 4 channel amplitude training implementing ‘classical’ neurofeedback protocols, such as SMR enhancement, Alpha-Theta or Alpha Coherence, and further database-free, “reward-inhibit” type protocols, as a standalone training or in combination with non-invasive brain stimulation techniques. From 2019, this 4-channel neurofeedback training option is offered in the form of a supervised home training programme.
- Infra-Slow Fluctuations Neurofeedback, working on the slowest fluctuations measurable on the cranium